The Art of Losing Myself

"There is a temptation to see Lent as a time of self-improvement, during which my focus is on myself. However, my sin shows me that my hope can never be in myself. My only hope is that someone save me. Saint Paul says: "I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want...Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom 7:19, 24-24). Let our focus be not on ourselves, but on Jesus. Let us turn toward Jesus Christ and beg for a renewed experience of his presence. He is the one who saves me from my miserable condition; it is his merciful gaze which awakens and transforms me." -Father Richard Veras. I could not have put it better myself. That is why I decided to share it with you, my dear readers. Lent is most definitely not about ourselves. Remember Galatians 2:20 I talked about in a previous article. It is about allowing Jesus to increase in our lives and us decreasing. I saw a quote today that went "A short saying often contains much wisdom." - Sophocles. So today's reading is shorter but I hope you see the wisdom in Father Richard's words and makes you ponder.My dear brothers & sisters in Jesus Christ...how will you improve the present moment for the bettering of Christ's kingdom?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Truth in a Dark Time

Are we a part of Christ's sheep?